Criminal Con Man and Sociopathic Predator
THE DIRTY ARMY: Nik, I met Derek Sutherland in the early summer of 2016, and I thought I had met the perfect guy. He was very charming, funny, and we seemed to click on all our interests. But things weren’t as they seemed at first. By the early fall, we were engaged to be married, and I paid thousands of dollars to have the ceremony and reception at Hatley Castle in Victoria. But the mask soon came off, and I realized that although Derek Sutherland said he loved me and wanted to marry me, his actions spoke far louder than his words. No one could do the things that he did to me to someone they truly loved.
Derek’s cons and crimes are non-stop and my year with him could fill a novel. For the sake of expediency, I will summarize a number of incidents. This list is by no means exhaustive, but it will give you an accurate impression of the kind of person that Derek is.
1. Within a week of meeting, he had stolen my iPad. It was never seen again.
2. Derek would wait until I fell asleep, and then he would go into my wallet, and help himself to my bank accounts and credit cards.
3. Early on, I hired him to help in my store for a temporary basis while the owner was having a kidney transplant. He stole $3,000 one day when I left him alone for a 1/2 hour.
4. He tells people that members of his family that are alive died. He even faked going to a funeral for his sister.
5. Months after lying about family deaths, he gets a cheque in the mail, and he told me it was his inheritence from his father. The cheque was counterfeit and cost me almost $2,000 on the exchange rate when it bounced.
6. He tried to profit off the death of my cat with a pet insurance policy he took out in his name as the beneficiary. He may have even killed my cat.
7. His modus operandi when it comes to employment is to find a job as a manager in a food-service industry location, get access to the business’ safe and then steal the contents. He has done this to almost every single place that I have known him to work at. He is currently before the courts for the latest of these incidents.
8. Derek doesn’t have his own place to live, he finds individuals that have something he wants, and then he manipulates his way into that victim’s life, and then lives off that person for as long as he can. In the year he lived with me, he never paid a house bill or a cent in rent. He would use scams and endless promises into the future to carry it on as long as possible.
9. Derek impersonates people on the internet. In one case involving a Boston Pizza in Downtown Vancouver, he stole from the safe as per his MO and also stole the delivery car. He then impersonated Jim Treliving, the CEO in an elaborate con that went on for months assuring that the video footage had been reviewed and Derek was cleared of the theft. It promised compensation for wrongful dismissal, and solicited banking information for the “deposit” of the funds.
10. Derek Sutherland engages in loan scams on the internet, where he cons people into sending “security deposits” for secured loans via e-transfer. He even used my name and address, and listed me as the “owner” of a fake company called “Prosper LLP” and even forged fake documents to that effect.
11. Derek Sutherland impersonates Peace Officers. He tells people lies about being an undercover detective. He may claim to be working with the RCMP and the FBI. None of those things are true. He has a lengthy criminal record.
12. Derek Sutherland is a serial cheater, and at the same time, (at least with me) he withheld sex. I eventually busted him cheating red-handed, by setting up a fake account on Grindr. It took him only one day to take the bait and solicit the fake account with nudes and descriptions of his proclivities, which include fart sniffing and scat play.
13. Derek Sutherland once broke all the smoke alarms in my house. I cannot deduce any purpose to that other than he thinks about killing people, and maybe considered killing me.
As mentioned, this list is by no means exhaustive, and I had uncovered far more while we were together that he had done to others by impersonating and scamming over the internet. Derek should be avoided by all people like the plague. He leaves nothing in his wake except utter destruction and loss.