Two Suspects Caught in Borussia Dortmund Team Bus Attacks
Yesterday The Dirty reported that German soccer club Borussia Dortmund’s bus had been hit by a series of explosions, damaging the team bus, and even injuring defender Marc Bartra. Since then Barta has been released from the hospital with minor injures to his hand. Initial reports were unclear as to who was responsible for the attack, but this morning two suspects have been caught and have become the focus of the investigation.
From the BBC:
A spokeswoman for Germany’s federal state prosecutor in Karlsruhe, Frauke Koehler, said: “Two suspects from the Islamist spectrum have become the focus of our investigation. Both of their apartments were searched, and one of the two has been detained.”
Two letters claiming the attack on Tuesday evening were being investigated.
The three copies of the same letter were found near the site of the blasts, indicating that the attacker had links to so-called Islamic State (IS). IS had said it carried out the attack on a Christmas market in Berlin in December that killed 12 people.
Germany’s chancellor Angela Merkel spoke out strongly against the attack, which she called a “revolting act.”
The first leg of the match between Dortmund and AS Monaco was postponed following the blast. The match will be played today, Wednesday, at 12:45 p.m. ET.